Do people mistake you for being older than you actually are? Are you constantly looking for ways to conceal wrinkles and age spots that seem to be popping up out of nowhere? Well, we would all like to age gracefully but some of us seem doomed to display the signs of aging relatively early in life. But that does not have to be the case. Prematurely aged skin can be avoided by making certain lifestyle changes. Here are just a few.
- Use sunscreen: It has long been proven that UVA and UVB rays from the sun cause the formation of free radicals which damage your DNA and causes your skin to be harmed in the process. Stay safe by moderating your exposure to strong sunlight and by wearing sunscreen with the proper SPF number.
- Stay hydrated: We are made up of roughly 80% water. Moreover, our skin needs to be hydrated since failing to do so can cause fine lies to appear that eventually turn to deep wrinkles.
- Get plenty of sleep: Not getting enough sleep can harm us in several ways. First, it can cause us to be more stressed and irritable during our waking hours. Also, it can lessen the time that our skin cells need to regenerate themselves from the damage that is caused to it during the daytime. As it turns out, night-time is the perfect time to apply topical nourishment to our skin such as our SOD cream.
- Increase your anti-oxidant intake: Anti-oxidants scavenge for free radicals which, as we said earlier, are thought to contribute to the aging progress. Anti-oxidants can be found in several foods and in supplements like COQ10. Another supplement that contains anti-oxidants is Diindolylmethane, or DIM. DIM is thought to suppress growth of several forms of cancer, including breast, colon and prostate cancer,
- Do not smoke: Smoke depletes the body’s Vitamin C supply. Vitamin C is another powerful anti-oxidant that helps negates the damage done by free radicals.
Finally, the bad news is that, as everyone knows, the aging process cannot be reversed. The good news is that there are lifestyle changes that can make a significant difference for those with prematurely aging skin. We are not all doomed to be slaves to our genetics if we follow the above tips for protecting the body’s largest organ.