N-acetyl-L-cysteine, or NAC, is an amino acid, a powerful anti-oxidant and a basic building block of glutathione. Glutathione is important for proper lung function, brain function, liver detoxification and a whole host of other health processes. This is why some people are calling NAC “the mother of all anti-oxidants.” This is also why many health professionals are beginning to recommend that people from all walks of life take a NAC supplement. Preliminary research is beginning to demonstrate that the hype about NAC has its basis in fact. Here are what is believed to be some of the known benefits of NAC.
- NAC may alleviate some degenerative diseases: A study published in the January 2003 edition of Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, found that NAC may be useful in treating degenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. It may do so by preventing certain types of cells from destroying themselves.
- NAC may alleviate certain breathing disorders: Among the breathing disorders NAC may help ease includes emphysema, cystic fibrosis and asthma. Research by the University of Maryland Medical Center has shown that NAC may help lessen the effects of these disorders by reducing the mucus buildup characteristic of these diseases.
- NAC may help prevent liver toxicity: Although the drug Acetaminophen is tremendously useful in treating pain, in high enough dosages it can damage the liver which can sometimes lead to liver failure. NAC is now commonly used to treat liver damage in the case of Acetaminophen poisoning as well as in excessive alcohol consumption or environmental pollutants.
- NAC can provide a measure of flu protection: NAC can reduce the flu virus from replicating itself inside cells. Without the ability to replicate itself quickly, the flu virus is quickly made ineffective.
- NAC may help treat HIV: NAC has been shown in some studies to prevent the reproduction of one strain of HIV. Of course, if you are HIV positive you should talk to your physician before adding any supplement to your prescribed medications.
Safety and Dosing
A maximum dosage for NAC has not been established although typically dosages of between 600mg-1,800mg of NAC are usually recommended. Our NAC starts at 600mg per pill. One dosage a day is recommended. In short, there are many benefits that are known to be derived by taking a NAC supplement. The above is just a small list of those benefits. Our NAC is affordable and convenient as are our other natural supplements such as our natural skin care products.